Are You Currently Under Audit?
Faced with budget cuts and deficiencies, states are becoming more aggressive and creative than ever in collecting tax. We’ve noticed an increase in changes to state law, limiting exemptions, increasing rates and expanding liability. But that doesn’t mean you have to pay more than what you’re required.
We Can Help
PJCo, founded in 1992, is comprised of former state auditors and other professionals with years of experience. We learned long ago that when dealing with audits, knowing the statutes isn’t always enough. Sometimes a successful audit defense requires having an “insider” on your side. Although they do not get special treatment, a former auditor knows the personalities and the system, as well as the statutes. We have developed a nationwide network of insiders — former state auditors who know the right questions to ask, the right people to talk to, and where to give in order to get.
PJCo has been involved in thousands of sales tax audits. We understand what a state sales tax audit can do to your life. Not only does it cost you in actual dollars and cents, but the additional stress and time spent is considerable.
Because of our experience, knowledge, and familiarity with state auditing procedures, we can help you through a sales tax audit. Our audit defense and support services are designed to:
- Minimize sales, use, and franchise tax audit assessments.
- Reduce business interruption.
- Ensure the most favorable results possible.
- Identify issues that can be appropriately protested, file administrative appeals on your behalf, and represent you in disputes before the taxing authorities.
Getting Started is Easy
First, we will provide an initial review of your sales tax audit. There’s no cost or commitment on your part for us to do this quick review.
After we conduct the review to estimate your exposure. Our findings and recommendations will provide you with a plan of action to minimize the audit assessment for your company. If we believe that we can help, we will discuss your options for our involvement.
Then, we will schedule a time to review your files. We will analyze sampling methods and test periods, and establish guidelines for the auditor to follow. We also monitor the audit progress so that your tax or accounting department can focus on issues that are more productive. There’s usually nothing else for you to do.
We likely can reduce or eliminate your audit. We don’t get paid unless and until you get a refund or reduction to your sales tax audit.
Other Audit Services
- State Audit Support – If you’re undergoing an audit but have the staff to work with the auditor, we can support you in an advisory role.
- Managed Audits – Some states allow the taxpayer to conduct their own audit under certain circumstances. If you qualify, we can help!
- Audit Review – We’ll look over an auditor’s findings objectively to ensure that you’re getting a fair assessment, as well as look for areas where you may be due a refund.